Wednesday, October 25, 2006

My ghostly confession.......

In 1976 I was in a show called "1776" It ran for about 2 months. It was a hoot. I still remember it all so fondly.
In that show I played Richard Henry Lee. I did a fun song, some wild dancing with a great walking stick..marching around like a wild rooster with Franklin and Adams....and then I was off to Virginia to push for independence and was off the show for quite a while.

I was there for curtain calls and had some very good reviews....

But I had fun while the show was going on...

Next to the theater which was a reconstructed church. There were two cemeteries...and when I was free after my scenes..I would go strolling through the graveyards often lit only by moonlight.

I was in very fancy colonial dress circa 1776...Long hair, knee britches, frock shirt, fancy collar, gold vest, off gold waistcoat. I looked like I was right out the mid 18th century!

Ah how I loved to walk the grave yard at night....Cars would slow down...watch as I silently walked my way around....I wonder how many bad dreams I caused during my late night walks........I always remembered I was watched by many a car as they drove by.....I guess I caused a few good ghost stories too...

But the walk did me good and I could rehearse and study and also read the various stones which did indeed date back to the time of the revolution.... But I will always remember the cars slowing down...and I played my part not paying a bit of attention too them...continuing my slow walk....in this very large cemetery..

I wonder how many people came home and said you would never believe what I saw in the graveyard!!!!!

Happy Halloween and enjoy your local cemetery...They are more for the living than the dead....Take a walk on the wild side and look at those who walked this earth before you.....

Which reminds me of one good cemetery search story

I decided to look on Christmas eve for a gravestone in Rockaway, New Jersey.

I had remembered as a boy seeing a gravestone there, that was so profound in what it said...I remembered it from the last time I had seen it...and that was in 1972....

Now it was 2005 and 33 years can play a lot of trouble in your memory.

Then after looking for a while we found it...moved the grass away from the bottom of the stone..which was from around 1700....and it said on the bottom...

"As you are, I once was".....That said it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment